Tuesday, December 8, 2009

HOW DO YOU GIFT-WRAP A GOAT - AND OTHER QUIRKY QUANDARIES


This question was posited recently on the cover of PLAN CANADA, a quarterly dedicated to THE PLAN'S mission to help the children of many third world countries, particularly African countries where children are starving to death and lack fresh water and shelter - the very basic human needs we all have. As I have mentioned in a previous blog entry, I have been sponsoring a 10 year-old Spanish-speaking girl from a little village in El Salvador. So, I've been pondering what I could give this family [a single mother with two girls] - for Christmas.

In countries like Tanzania, Rwanda and Ethiopia, livestock is a highly valuable resource. Apparently, one can get a goat for about 30 dollars Canadian, or a cow for 50 bucks. These animals can provide milk, cheese, and meat to sustain an impoverished family. They can also use the animal products or the livestock itself as bartering power to trade for many of the other necessities of life such as fresh fruit and vegetables or building supplies for proper shelter, all at the local market.

On the other hand, items such as an iPod shuffle, a laptop computer or a Kindle DX e-reader would be of little use as Christmas gifts. But those are a few of the items I'll be purchasing for close friends. The e-reader is for yours truly, though. Loved the whole idea ever since I saw them introduced by the inventor and head of Amazon - Jeff Bezos. Alas, the first generation of Kindles was not available in Canada. Finally, Amazon just recently announced it was offered here along with Whispernet. Yahoo! The new 7.5inch screen [DX model] is still not offered herein Canada, but, I'm it will be soon to follow.

Have you got your tree up yet? We have a gorgeous Fraser Fir this year; it's big and bushy and scent of fir needles is delightful. Now, if I can keep my mini-poodle Zoe, from grazing off the lower branches...actually the most effective way to catch her nibbling is to hang a bunch of mini-bells all around the bottom at about her level. Then when I hear too mu tinkling and tintinnabulation - I holler from the other room and Zoe comes dashing in - with that guilty sheepish look that dogs seem to have. In truth, though, I find it amusing. What a softy I am!

What to get Zoe - the spoiled pooch who has everything? Maybe a goat - a little stuffed goat. It'll be easier to gift-wrap - don't you think?

Please feel free to comment or share your thoughts on any of my posts or your own experiences. "See you again before Christmas, eh...

No comments:

Post a Comment